Pre-loader Graphic

West Wales Cup Roundup - 3rd February 2024

Dan Metcalf

It was a good day for the Pembrokeshire sides competing in the fourth round of the West Wales Intermediate Cup with four out of a possible five teams progressing to the Quarter-Finals.

There were seven Pembrokeshire teams in action overall, with two ties seeing Pembrokeshire teams face off with each other.

In the round's only other played fixture, West End beat Clydach 2-1.

Defending Champions Penlan's mouthwatering tie with West Wales Premier League leaders Evans & Williams was postponed, along with St Josephs v Llangyfelach.

Rockspur 0-1 Goodwick United

Kyle Marsh, the Goodwick United goalkeeper

Kyle Marsh was the hero for Goodwick with an assist and a penalty save.

The tie of the round between two of the favourites for the competition, with Rockspur sitting second in the Macron West Wales Premier League and Goodwick United top of the Manderwood Pembrokeshire Division One.

Rockspur had only tasted defeat twice so far this season, and had drawn against league leaders Evans & Williams in their last outing.

Goodwick United had won three consecutive league games after defeat in the West Wales Amateur Trophy, with the Phoenix Boys hoping to seal the treble this season.

In what was always going to be a closely contested game, the only goal came in the 52nd minute when half-time substitute Jonny Horgan broke the deadlock with a superb volley after getting on the end of a long ball from goalkeeper Kyle Marsh.

Marsh was later the hero at the other end of the pitch, saving a penalty to keep his side's lead half way through the second period.

As tensions ran high, a member of Rockspur's coaching team was shown a red card.

In the 80th minute, Tommy Jones received his marching orders for a straight red card for a dangerous challenge on Jonny Horgan.

The Phoenix Boys showed their resolve to hold on to the victory and keep up their fantastic season.


Fishguard Sports 0-2 Merlins Bridge

Merlins Bridge striker Alex Thomas

Merlins Bridge striker Alex Thomas kept up his form with another goal

The game saw goalkeeper Dan Devine start his second game for the club, having recently joined from Haverfordwest Cricket Club.

Tom Jago also returned to the side that contained a mixture of youth and experience, with club stalwart Joe Leahy also coming in to the starting XI.

In-form forward Alex Thomas gave the Wizards the lead in the 17th minute thanks to an assist from Jamie Palmer.

Joe Leahy eventually doubled the visitor's lead in the 54th minute.

Fishguard captain Patrick Hughes saw red in the 60th minute, with the game seeing an additional eight yellow cards between both teams.

View Match Photos


Milford United 6-0 St Ishmaels

Another all Pembrokeshire affair saw a local derby between Milford United and St Ishmaels with the high flying Robins continuing a strong season since their promotion to the top flight.

Thomas Grimwood scored the opening goal on the stroke of half-time after being set up by forward Scott Reid.

The second half was a much more lively affair, with the in-form Liam Parks opening the scoring for the period in the 49th minute before Anthony Hubbuck added another just three minutes later.

Morgan Picton made it four in the 68th minute, before turning provider to set up Hubbuck for another in the 75th minute.

Picton then added another in the 83rd minute to finish the scoring in a comfortable victory for his side.


Bryncoch 4-4 Kilgetty (Kilgetty win 4-3 on penalties)

Richard Cope got the visitors off to the perfect start with a goal in the 7th minute, but Kilgetty's lead didn't last for long with a quickfire double putting them 2-1 down within 20 minutes.

Bryncoch added a third to make it 3-1 in the 63rd minute, with victory for the hosts looking a certainty at that point.

The visitors had other ideas, with goals from Lloyd Hughes and Steve Thomas in the last two minutes of the game taking the fixture to extra-time.

Bryncoch once again thought they were going through with a goal in extra-time only for substitute Adam Johns to grab a late equaliser with just two minutes to play.

Kilgetty goalkeeper Richard "Webby" Webb was to be the hero in the penalty shoot-out with a fantastic save to see his side through.


Seaside 2-1 Carew

It was heartbreak for Carew who showed good resolve in what was always going to be a very tough fixture against Llanelli league leaders Seaside who have only lost once in their domestic league this season.

The hosts took the lead in the 23rd minute through Ben Honeybun, with Honeybun turning provider to set up Keiran Dawe in the 74th minute to double the lead.

Substitute Dylan Morgan pulled one back for Carew after being set up by Marcus Griffiths but Seaside held on to their lead to seal the victory and progress.

Related Content